Advice for landlords affected by London riots

No doubt the vast majority of people reading this blog will be appalled by the nonsensical rioting that has taken place across the country in recent days. Many commercial businesses have been affected by fire or looting, not to mention a number of residential properties above or around these premises.

Landlords affected should ensure they check their insurance policies as soon as possible. Most Landlord Insurance policies will cover for damage caused by riot, civil commotion, labour and political disturbances and strikes, but check that rioting is not a specific exclusion in your policy.

NLA Property Insurance emphasises the need for landlords to let their provider know quickly if their properties have been damaged.

Other than this, the best advice we can give is to be careful and check that your tenants are okay. Hopefully those responsible will be brought to justice swiftly and these appalling acts of violence will end.

To join the NLA and take advantage of the on-going support and up-to-date information for landlords, visit

**UPDATE** 11.8.2011:

Homes affected by Riots – how to claim help

The Prime Minister has today announced a range of support for those affected by the riots this last week. A compensation scheme under the Riot (Damages) Act 1886 has been activated and affected landlords can apply for compensation under this scheme.

Properties and business affected by riots across England will be able to apply under the Riot (Damages) Act for compensation even if they are uninsured or underinsured. The Home Office has also lengthened the period under which a claim can be lodged, from 14 to 42 days from the day of the riot which has caused the damage.

2 thoughts on “Advice for landlords affected by London riots

Leave a Reply