Breaking news: more people renting…DOH!

Is that really such a surprise? More people are renting now than in 2001…shock horror!

The latest Government findings in the English Housing Survey make for a good read if you are a. sleepless or b. a landlord.

  • In 2001 there were 2.1 million households privately renting. In 2008 the figure was more like 3.1 million.
  • 59% or private renters expect to eventually buy a home in the UK [perhaps the other 41% are considering buying in the South of France?].
  • 5.4% of privately rented households are overcrowded.
  • Social rented homes are more energy efficient than privately rented homes.
  • 34% of privately rented homes are considered ‘non-decent’.

Okay, maybe it doesn’t ALL make for good reading if you’re a landlord. There are some serious issues here which need unpacking.

While you’re here, can you fill out this NLA survey? Thanks very much indeed.

Leave a Reply